Ads 468x60px

  • First Lesson

    7/31/2010 was my first lesson. This is when i embarked on my new found love and hobby. I began to fly regularly after that first flight. I have found a new passion that was a childhood passion of mine!

  • Solo Time

    July 4th 2011 was my first solo. I flew at Oxnard Airport. All three landings were awesome, and increased my confidence more than i could ever explain. The first solo will stick with me for the rest of my life!!! It was a turning point in my hobby!

  • Still Learning, Striving, and Flying

    It has been a long journey, and an expensive on as well. But i stuck to it and keep flying as i am now so fascinated by it. I strive to learn more, and now i understand a pilots license is a license to learn!

Friday, August 26, 2011

Emergency Procedures

Since I’m going to be performing many cross country flights now, god forbid, I end up in any type of emergency, the more I know, the better of a chance I have of surviving. The airplane, the systems, the emergency procedures should be second nature. I should not have to think about it. I need to know it like the back of my hand. I figured it was time to stuff emergency procedures into my head, until I can recite them in my sleep.

These are specific to Cessna 172SP Nav III’s. Please refer to your POH for your airplane to get complete procedures.

**Note BOLD POINTS ARE THE IMMEDIATE ACTION ITEMS IN THIS TYPE OF EMERGENCY

  • Engine Failures:
    • Engine failure during takeoff roll:
      (Here we want to stay on the ground and stop ASAP)
      • Throttle – Idle
      • Brakes – Apply
      • Flaps – Retract
      • Mixture – Idle Cutoff
      • Magnetos – Off
      • Standby Batter – Off
      • Master – Off
    • Engine failure immediately after takeoff:
    • (Here we want to get back onto the ground safely)
      • Airspeed
        • Flaps up – 70 KIAS (Calibrated Indicated Airspeed)
        • Flaps 10/FULL – 65 KIAS
      • Mixture – Idle
      • Fuel Shutoff – Off
      • Magnetos – Off
      • Flaps – As Required
      • Standby Battery – Off
      • Master – OFF
      • Door – Unlatch
      • Land – Straight Ahead
    • Engine Failure in Flight:
    • (Here we want to get back onto the ground safely)
      • Airspeed – 68 knots
        • Pick Suitable landing area
        • Fly towards landing area
      • If time allows perform engine restart
        • Fuel Selector – Both
        • Fuel Cutoff – On 
        • Mixture – Rich 
          • Depends on Altitude and Density Altitude
          • Don’t full rich when at 7000’ elevation
          • Use common sense here
        • Throttle – Full
        • Fuel Pump – On
        • Magnetos – on/both
      • If engine does not restart or an off airport landing becomes necessary
        • Squawk 7700
        • If not on with tower, 121.5
        • Announce Location/Aircraft/Passengers
        • Fuel Pump – Off
        • Magnetos – Off
        • Throttle – Idle
        • Mixture – Full Lean
        • Fuel Cutoff – Off
        • Fuel Selector – Left/Right
      • Seats and Seatbelts – Secure
      • Loose Objects – Stow
      • Flaps – As required
      • Standby Battery - Off
      • Master - Off
      • Door – Ajar, just before touchdow
  • Engine Fire during startup:(Here we want to burn up whatever fuel is left, and not let any more fuel in. Then we will shut down and take care of the fire if it remains)
    • Cranking - Continue
    • If Engine Starts
      • Throttle - 1800 RPM
      • Engine – Let run for a few minutes
      • Engine – Shutdown and inspect
    • If Engine fails to start
      • Throttle – Full
      •  Mixture – Idle
      • Cranking – Continue
      • Fuel Shutoff – Off
      • Fire Extinguisher – Obtain
      • Engine – Secure
      • Master – Off
      • Standby Battery - Off
      • Magnetos – Off
      • Fuel Selector – Left/Right
      • Fire – Extinguish
      • Airplane - Evacuate
      • Engine – inspect for damages

No comments:

Post a Comment