Ads 468x60px

  • First Lesson

    7/31/2010 was my first lesson. This is when i embarked on my new found love and hobby. I began to fly regularly after that first flight. I have found a new passion that was a childhood passion of mine!

  • Solo Time

    July 4th 2011 was my first solo. I flew at Oxnard Airport. All three landings were awesome, and increased my confidence more than i could ever explain. The first solo will stick with me for the rest of my life!!! It was a turning point in my hobby!

  • Still Learning, Striving, and Flying

    It has been a long journey, and an expensive on as well. But i stuck to it and keep flying as i am now so fascinated by it. I strive to learn more, and now i understand a pilots license is a license to learn!

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Cross Country to Montgomery Field (KMYF)

This was a fun cross country, and it reminded me of a very important saying I have heard.  The cockpit workload is minimal except for takeoff and the last few minutes before landing, as this is when it spikes and becomes a lot of work in a very short period of time.  I was not prepared for the amount of work it took, but I was able to handle it with very little hassle.  Mike even mentioned something about it and how well I took all the work and stress, and worked through it in a very logical and safe way. 

Once at Montgomery we ate at the Mexican restaurant that is next to the transient parking.  It was so-so food.  The service was exceptional, and the view was breathtaking.  It was a nice temperature in San Diego, much better than the San Fernando valleys temperature when we left.  There was a nice breeze in San Diego.  It helped to make it feel exhilarating once we got on the ground. 

The day started with me getting to KVNY a little early, as I always do.  This allowed me to get an updated weather briefing, before mike got back with his student he was currently with.  The weather looked perfect, except for an IFR condition over Camp Pendleton Marine Base.  Other than that, the rest of the route was VFR by good margins.  The tops of the IFR conditions were reported at 2000’ and we were planned to be 5500’.  So we would be well over that, and still in VFR conditions, as it was only over the base. 

Mike arrived about 15 minutes after our scheduled meet time.  But I fully understand with aviation, sometimes being late is usual.  Especially when dealing with student pilots, ATC, ground operations, checklist, preflight, fuel.  Once Mike arrived, he tossed me the key and had me go for my preflight.  We had roughly 50 gallons of fuel in the plane, so that would work.  I estimated to use 15 gallons there and 15 gallons back.  It was actually 13 per performance calculations, but just for safety sake, I would rather think I have no more fuel when I do, rather than think I have fuel that I do not. 

The flight plan was going to take us from KVNY, to KSMO, over the LASFRA, which takes us over KLAX.  Once we were to Saint Vincent Bridge/Queen Mary, we would turn and fly direct towards VPLDP (Dana Point).  Once at Dana Point, we would fly about 5 miles off the coast to stay clear of the restricted airspace over Camp Pendleton.  Then once past Oceanside we would descend to 3500 to make the hole in Class Bravo airspace, and then direct to Montgomery field.  The hole in class B airspace is tricky.  The bravo airspace comes from the surface up to 3200’ and then from 4800’ to 10000’ above you.  So you need to thread yourself through this small hole.  Mike did not even ask to look at the flight plan or my course.  He said he trusts I know how to get us there and back safely and legally.

I did not have a flight plan calculated for coming back to KVNY but we were going to wing it and use the GPS to get us back.  Mike likes to see multiple ways of navigation, along with multiple ways of using the systems and flying.  So I planned to fly manually to KMYF.  And use the autopilot and GPS while coming back.  Mike was ok with this.  He actually liked the plan.  For coming back I was going to use VPLDP, KPOC, KEMT, and KVNY.  Coming back we were going to be at 6500’ since our course was due west the entire trip.  Once over KEMT we would drop down to 2500’ to transition through Burbank’s airspace, and be ready for KVNY airspace immediately after. 

After preflight, we jumped in the airplane, and after run up and takeoff clearance we were off.  Once outside of KVNY airspace, we got setup for the LASFRA.  Squawk 1201, turn on all lights, and announce on 128.55.  Our altitude was at 3500’, which is standard for east traffic in the corridor.  Making sure to stay on the 132 degree radial from SMO VOR, we got through the corridor.  Once over VPLVT (Saint Vincent’s Bridge) we turned towards VPLDP and initiated a climb to 5500’ to clear KSNA’s airspace.  Contacted SoCal Approach for flight following along the route, and then just sat and relaxed for the next 40 minutes of flight over the coast.  All along, tracking where we were on the chart, looking for traffic, making sure the engine instruments were all reporting fine.

During the flight we saw what appeared to be dolphins or whales in the water.  Not sure what they were but they looked cool from where we were!!!  There were maybe a dozen of them in the water, next to each other.  They were migrating north.  It was a cool sight.  I wish I could have had a better camera than my phone to take the pics.

We also hit a patch of rain that had the usual downdrafts associated with it.  Mike asked me what we should expect when flying under the cloud that the rain was coming from before we got there.  I said moisture, and downdrafts without hesitation.  Correct!!!  When we got into the down drafts though, it hit us like a ton of bricks.  We lost 500 feet in about 20 seconds.  So I initiated a climb and tried to keep us as close to altitude as possible.  I slowed our speed to 105 knots as there was some turbulence now.  The place was getting thrown all over the place now.  A minute later, the air calmed down, and everything returned to normal smooth flight.

I’m extremely glad we got flight following for this trip, as I heard the magic words that made this trip 100% easier.  “9er lima bravo, cleared into class bravo airspace, maintain VFR at or above 3500’”.  Now I do not have to worry about busting into bravo, although I still used the correct corridor to get through, and technically I never touched class B airspace.  But it was good to know I was cleared into bravo just in case I needed it.  This is where the work load started to increase. 

Flight following tells me to contact Montgomery tower, and squawk VFR.  I thought “This is weird.  They usually have me keep the squawk code and hand me off to tower”.  So I squawk 1200 and attempt to contact Montgomery tower.  This took me about 3 minutes to contact the tower.  They were really busy and I could not get a radio call in to them by the time we were 2 miles out of their airspace, so I initiated a constant altitude  35 degree turn to the right, at 1500’.  In the turn is when I got a chance to contact tower.  “Montgomery Tower, Skyhawk 88 9er lima bravo, 2 to the west, inbound for landing, with alpha”.  I got cleared into the airspace, had to squawk 0400, look for traffic, and was cleared for landing all at the same time.  And mind you I’m still in a 35-40 degree turn to the right at this time, with the airport behind me.  This is when the workload exploded all at once.  I continued the turn until we were on the downwind leg, and then leveled the wings.  Squawked 0400 while still in the turn, and spotted the traffic.  I made my radio call to confirm and read back my clearances.  “Cleared to land runway 28L, squawk 0400, traffic in sight, 9er lima bravo”.  Pulled out the checklist, and ran the before landing checklist and flow check, got established in the pattern, and started my landing.

All the work came out of nowhere, and then vanished all at once.  This is when it’s best to be prepared and to expect something like this.  So when it happens you are not caught by surprise.  The pattern was a standard pattern, except we had tower call our base turn.  I was a little high on the initial turn to final, but dropped power to about 1600 RPM’s to get back on the glide slope, and then added enough power to keep us on the glide slope.  We touched right after the numbers, and the landing was perfect.  Mike didn’t have to tell me right rudder.  I guess it’s sort of natural now.  That was the only complaint he had since I got landings down. 

Once off the runway we taxied to transient parking, and then shut down the plane for some food.  I was hungry after that flight.  So I was looking forward to the food.  Mike and I discussed the flight, and he was extremely satisfied with the planning, executions, and progress of the entire flight.  He said i was in front of the airplane the entire time, had no trouble controlling it, and the radio calls were perfect.  He said from this flight, he can tell he has one or two more flights with me, and the rest will be solo, and me doing my own practice.  He said I was well within PTS standards the entire time, from takeoff to landing.  The flight plan I created was only 3 minutes off.  We were 3 minutes early and I know why.  I planned for the wind 250@10.  Wind was actually 310@7 when we were flying.  So there was more of a tail wind than I expected.  So we had a slightly faster groundspeed on the flight there.  That explains the early arrival.  The fuel was right on point.  We used about 13 gallons on the trip there.  Mike asked how I did on my calculations.  I told him we were early by 3 minutes and used the exact amount of fuel I calculated.  He told me I have the best flight planning of any student he has ever had, and that is one of my strong points.  This made me happy. 

I really try to keep my flight plans accurate, so I know what to expect in the entire flight.  An accurate flight plan can make the flight a lot less work in the cockpit.  With the flight plan you know point A to point B is x miles and will take me y amount of time at z groundspeed.  If one thing is off during flight such as a faster groundspeed, you can take what you have and recalculate to get the new correct calculations.  This is easier than not having those numbers with you, and having to view a sectional and come up with the numbers on the fly.  With a good flight plan, you don’t even need a sectional.  As long as you hit your checkpoints, on time, you are on course.  Although ALWAYS have a current sectional with you when you fly.

The restaurant was nice and the food was good.  It was the only restaurant close to us, so Mexican food it was.  It was also really busy at the airport.  There were planes everywhere moving, stopping, taking off, and landing.  It was like a mad house at the airport.  Never have I seen so much commotion at an airport before.  It was almost surreal for seeing it for the first time.  I can only imagine how much work those controllers had in front of them. 

Mike made a comment during lunch, and it was the first time the comment actual was correct, and accurate.  He said “You fly I buy”.  I laughed as I have used that before just never in regards to flying.  He said he enjoys saying that to his student pilots, and since he didn’t have to do anything and was there for a free trip it was the least he could do.  (Well not free trip since he is being paid but yea).

Once done with lunch we went back to the plane, gave it a quick look over to make sure it was still flyable, and started her up.  I put in our GPS flight plan to come back to KVNY and shortly after we were taxiing to the runway.  Performed run up, and then we were cleared for takeoff.  I had some initial confusion with the controller.  I asked for a Northwest Departure.  Mike told me I should have just asked for a straight out departure.  The general rule of thumb for this is “Straight out, right/left crosswind, right/left downwind”.  Ok.  The controller asked “So you’re flying straight out to the coast, and then tracking north correct?”  “Affirmative, for 9er lima bravo”.  “Cleared for takeoff, straight out departure approved, runway 28L”.  We were cleared for takeoff, and lined up on the runway, Lights Camera Action and off we went. 

I didn’t use the auto pilot just yet.  I used the trim to keep us at a 74 knot climb, and really did not have to touch the controls until we got to the coast.  Once at the coast, and at 6500’, we leveled off, and switched on auto pilot.  Then set it to maintain altitude, and to track our GPS course.  From that point, it was monitoring SoCal frequency, tracking our position, and monitoring engine instruments.  Mike commented on how quick I was to get auto pilot on and get it configured correctly for what we wanted. 

Once at Dana Point the airplane turned towards KPOC.  There was a HUGE airport I saw but could not find it on the sectional chart.  Now I’m really confused.  I keep looking and don’t see an airport with that runway pattern on the sectional chart.  Then I noticed there was a closed airport, on the sectional right in front of where I estimated our position to be.  I asked Mike if that was the closed airport and he confirmed.  I was slightly thrown off by that but now I know our position.  El Torro airport is the name of it.  It is just east of KSNA.  It has two REALLY big runways, and tons of RV’s parked at the end of the runway.   It was originally a military airport, but was since closed.

Almost to KPOC, we modified our GPS flight plan to turn directly towards El Monte.  By this time we were well clear of LAX’s Class Bravo airspace and this would shave about 5 minutes off the flight time.  I removed KPOC from the flight plan, but the aircraft tried to turn to far to the left and track the GPS course from VPLDP to KEMT.  This would take us into bravo airspace.  So we needed to fix this.  I went to KEMT on the flight plan, and did a direct to, and it now was flying direct to KEMT from our present location, and still had the remainder of the flight plan in there.  Good.  This will save us some time and save me a little money for the rental of the plane.

We got back to KVNY after going through Burbank’s airspace.  The landing at KVNY was nice and smooth.  We got the plane tied down, and locked, and then went into the class room to do our debriefing.  Mike was impressed with the entire flight.  He likes my flying and said it was so flawless he was about to fall asleep on the trip there due to the smooth flight, smooth controls, and being in front of the airplane.  That is a compliment if the flight instructor wants to fall asleep as they are doing nothing, but sitting there.  Not sure if he means I’m boring though!!! I’m just kidding. 

He said he thinks I’m just about ready for my check ride, but need to get the remainder of the requirements done.  So he said this upcoming weekend I would be doing my long cross country solo.  This is planned from KVNY, to KSMX, to KPRB.  Total one way is 154 miles.  For the long cross country solo you need 150 miles.  So this does quality.  I have one more flight with mike for night cross country, and the rest of the time is solo getting my hours in.  He said he is going to try and schedule my check ride for the end of October. 

No comments:

Post a Comment