Ads 468x60px

  • First Lesson

    7/31/2010 was my first lesson. This is when i embarked on my new found love and hobby. I began to fly regularly after that first flight. I have found a new passion that was a childhood passion of mine!

  • Solo Time

    July 4th 2011 was my first solo. I flew at Oxnard Airport. All three landings were awesome, and increased my confidence more than i could ever explain. The first solo will stick with me for the rest of my life!!! It was a turning point in my hobby!

  • Still Learning, Striving, and Flying

    It has been a long journey, and an expensive on as well. But i stuck to it and keep flying as i am now so fascinated by it. I strive to learn more, and now i understand a pilots license is a license to learn!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Cross Country Solo to Santa Ynez - KIZA

Mike sent me a message on Thursday asking if i wanted to fly on Saturday to Santa Ynez for my cross country solo.  He said he didn't want me to fly out to California City - L71 this weekend because it was going to be HOT out there.  And density altitude would most likely exceed 5000'.  So rather than stick me in a difficult situation on my first cross country solo, he would rather send me somewhere i was comfortable with.  We have flown this flight once before.

I modified my old flight plan for KIZA to incorporate 2 VOR's on the way.  Instead of following the coast and tracking airports.  It was a more direct route, but took me 10 - 20 miles more inland than before.  I planned from KVNY, to FIM VOR, to RZS VOR, then follow Lake Cachuma to the airport.

Mike liked my flight plan.  He said just to keep track of landmarks on the route.  Since there was a 45 mile leg between the VOR's.  I do this already so it was no problem for me to keep track of where we are.  He looked at course and warned me of possible turbulence over some of the mountains that i was planned to fly over.  He told me if it got intense, to track more towards the coast to avoid tiring myself out.  He endorsed my logbook and my Medical Cert.  Then said before we go out he wanted to make sure i could still fly the plane and land.

So we get into the plane after preflight, and get into the pattern.  All 3 laps were perfect patterns, on glide slope the entire time, with good flight in the ground effects, and smooth soft landings.  Mike and I talked about a few things during this entire process.  I think it was in part to make sure i can do it while doing other things (MULTITASK, Cockpit MANAGEMENT).  But Mike and I have become good friends during this process.  He's a really cool guy!!  We talked about one of his students who thinks he is ready to solo.  I can relate because I felt the same way, for about 10 hours before i soloed.  But im very very GLAD Mike made me wait for my solo.  Because once i did solo, i was comfortable the entire time.  When i thought i was ready, yes i could land, but i was in no way comfortable in the plane the way i was when i first soloed.  He also commented on how since then my landings have been perfect each time.

So on our third landing we stop and i head over to Pentastar and mike jumps out.  Tells me to have fun.  And shortly after the door was shut and locked and i was the only one in the plane.  Time for my flight over to KIZA.

I was cleared to takeoff, and in the air within 45 seconds after being cleared for takeoff.  There was slight turbulance a few hundred feet off the ground but it was not too bad.  Once i got up to about 2,500 the air was clear and smooth.  Once i got away from the Burbank Class C airspace, i initiated a climb to 6,500 and contacted SoCal Approach.  Requested flight following, and was on my way.  I used auto pilot on the way there to fly.  Set the altitude, and the VOR's with the correct OBS settings and the airplane took on a life of it's own.

This gave me time, to do some calculations, find out where we are, track time, scan for traffic, and get ready for the 45 minute trip over to KIZA.  Every few seconds glancing at the display, as we were climbing, and auto pilot was on.  So i wanted to make sure we didn't slow down and stall while climbing.  I leaned the mixture as necessary, to keep the engine running nice a healthy.  We hit our altitude 1 minute before i figured as i was climbing at 80 knots instead of 73 knots.

I was handed off to Point Magoo Approach, and then Santa Barbara Approach.  I hit the VOR's one minute before the projected time each time.  So we were 1 minute ahead of schedule because of the faster climb to altitude.  The only turbulence i hit was right over the mountains just a mike had told me.  But it was not bad.  So i kept on the flight plan.  I cancelled flight following 5 miles before RZS VOR, and turned AWOS, got the current conditions, then contacted the CTAF to monitor and announce.

I was descending from 6500 to 1700.  So i needed to loose practically 5000'.  5x3 = 15 + 3 = 18.  RZS VOR is 13 miles away from RZS.  So this was perfect.  Pulled power to 2100 RPM's and let the plane bring itself down.  It took about 10 minutes for the descent itself.

This is where i made the only mistake on the flight.  But it was a minor mistake.  Upon initial contact i announced "Santa Ynez Traffic, Skyhawk 889LB 15 miles east, inbound with information, for landing, 45 right traffic, 26, Santa Ynez".  The problem with this is the pattern for 26 is Left.  I knew this.  And had this on my paperwork.  But for some reason said "right traffic".  Someone chimed in immediately after, and said "Traffic for 26 is Left unless your a glider."  I knew this.  I then announced "Yes correction, left pattern 26".

I didn't have that problem again.  I announced a few times on the whole descent and entry into the pattern.  Everyone landed in front of me, no one was taking off, and the only person coming in was 8 miles behind me. So i had time to do what i needed to do.  I entered the pattern at a 45.  Mid field, for left traffic runway 26.  Announced on downwind, base, and final.  The landing was easy, but i floated a long time just inches above the ground.  I touched about half way down the runway, as the density altitude was 3'900 there.  It was hot out there but not as hot as in the valley.

I landed and got off on the end of the runway.  I needed to use the restroom and wanted to get a drink, so i taxied to transient parking.  Shut her down.  And went into the lounge.  Talked to one of the workers for about 20 minutes.  Cool guy.  Really enjoyed the conversation.  Then i went back to the airplane and got her running, and then took off to come back to KVNY.

On the way back i got flight following , but i didn't use the auto pilot the entire time.  I flew.  I attempted to stay within PTS and i was pretty successful.  Coming back i did not have a flight plan, but used the GPS in the G1000 to draw a course back using the VOR's i used to go there.  Once close to van nuys i was cleared for right base 16R.  Landed and it was a nice smooth landing.  Floated a bit, as i came in a little fast but it was a good landing.

All in all AWESOME flight.  It helped me to gain much more confidence in my flying.  Next flight should be a night flight.  Mike will let me know this week.  Enjoy my video below!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment